The Operation module takes Job Assignments through Job Creation, Quoting, Dispatching, Service Ticketing, Approvals, and Invoicing. In this article, we will discuss Approvals Queue Management which details instructions on managing Service Tickets, Approvals, and Invoicing. To learn more about Job Creation, Quoting, and Dispatching please review Queue Management and Operations Scheduling Management Please note that this article will not discuss at length how to set up Operations. Review Field Services & Operations Administrative Setup for more information on how to set up the platform. Additionally, review iOS Mobile App and Android Mobile App for information on a field user experience.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Approvals
- Job Cards
Introduction to Approvals
Navigate to Operations > Approvals Queue (Beta). Within this module, you will be able to manage jobs post-dispatch.
The Jobs dropdown includes four options. Each of these options filters out the job card list. If particulars on a job are not known you may utilize the search bar just below this dropdown and then select Search All Jobs.
- Service Tickets: This filter displays all jobs which need a service ticket for an assignment line item.
- Approval: This filter displays all jobs that have assignment line items that need to be approved for an invoice. Additionally, this displays all jobs with assignment line items marked with the ready status.
- Invoice: This filter displays all jobs that have been approved and need to be invoiced.
- Today's Jobs: This filter displays all jobs that have today within the job date range or jobs that have an assignment line item scheduled for today.
The export ellipsis allows you to create .csv spreadsheets for assignments marked unapproved and ready. Optionally Export All Actionable or assignments marked as unapproved or Export All Ready or jobs marked as ready. Export Queue allows you to select specific approval assignments. To add them to the queue Select the Job Card > Line Items > Approvals > Checkmark the Assignment > Actions > Add to Export Queue.
The filter Icon allows you to filter the Job card list even further. Applied filters are displayed beneath the search bar for reference. These filters include the following.
- Date range: This filter displays jobs with a date range within the date range selected. Additionally, this filter displays jobs with assignment dates within the date range selected.
- Status: Filter jobs with assignment line items marked with the selected status.
- Client: Filter jobs by their associated client
- Job Number: Filter jobs by their job number.
- Region: Filter jobs by their assigned region.
- Owner: Filter jobs by their associated job owner. This is most commonly the creator of the job.
- Location: Filter jobs by their location assigned during job creation.
Add/Edit Job (Jobs 2.0)
To add a job select the blue "+" button. To edit a job select the job card and click Edit in the top right of the screen. This feature displays the Jobs 2.0 view. Optionally view jobs within Operations > Queues > All Jobs > Select a Job. While there may be two different methods of creating a job, both methods will populate the job and their assignments throughout the platform where applicable such as with the scheduling tool or on field users' mobile devices once their assignments are assigned. Currently, this Jobs 2.0 view does not support quotes, the PO number field, and assignment collection creation. The following information will discuss the fields and functions within the Jobs 2.0 view.
Internal details are information not to be displayed to the client. Utilize these fields for internal communication.
- *Job Owner: While this is typically the job creator, the owner may be assigned to any employee during job creation. The owner will automatically be dispatched to the job on their mobile device.
- *Region: The region is a required field to which employees may be assigned. If employees are assigned to a region they may be mass assigned to the assigned crew.
- Internal Notes: Internal notes is the information displayed only on Jobs 2.0. view. Utilize this field to remember particulars not important for the client or the assigned employees.
- Assigned Crew: The assigned crew field allows you to assign multiple employees. These employees will have this job populated on their job tab on their mobile devices. To populate a timer or job on the time tab of a mobile user, you must assign them to the individual assignment.
- Special Conditions: Special conditions are instructions provided to the employees assigned to the job.
- Job Documents: Job documents are files attached to the job. These may be marked as available for the assigned crew within the Share view. See Share (Arrow Icon) for more information on displaying job documents on a field user's mobile device.
The Job status identifies a job through the configurable company's workflow. Adjust this field when a job becomes confirmed from an estimate for example. The Job status also determines the Job number. To learn more about Job Statuses please review Operations Administrative Setup
Client info is displayed on a field user's mobile app when an employee is assigned to the job. Additionally, within the mobile app a field user will have the option to contact the job contact as well as navigate to the location assigned.
- *Client: This is the client for the assigned job
- Client Note: Client notes are optional notes applied directly to the client. Every time a client is assigned a job these notes will appear for reference. Client notes are never sent to the client through the platform.
- *Contacts: This is the point of contact for the assigned job. Contact phone numbers and emails are stored within Operations > Contacts.
- *Location Name: The location name is a preset destination assigned to the job. If no physical address is available select "No Address". This will provide the option to assign a pin drop and GPS location to the Job.
Job information is optional information applied to the Job. These fields are helpful when giving context to the job for both the client and employees assigned to the job.
- Job Description: The job description is a summary of Job details. This information is viewed on quotes and service tickets.
- Job Details: Jobs details include particular information in order to gain full context for the given job. This information is commonly distinguished similar jobs from one another. This information is visible to both the client and employee to provide full context for everyone interested in the job.
- Quoted Amount: This is the quoted amount on the job to be displayed for the client. Currently, Jobs 2.0 does not support quote creation.
The Job date is an estimate of the time a job is worked. This job date is searchable on a filter within this approvals queue (beta). This does not necessarily indicate the assigned time for any individual assignment on a job. Those dates are determined by the assignment collections applied to a job. Currently, jobs 2.0 does not support assignment collection creation.
- Date Range: This is the estimated date range a job is worked.
- Start Time: This is the estimated start time of the entire job.
- End Time: This is the estimated end time of the entire job.
- Travel Time: This is the estimated travel time for the entire job.
Job Cards display the Job number, Job Description, Job Owner, Estimated Date Range, Client, Job Location, # of actionable line items, and total $ of actionable line items. The # and $ symbols do not represent invoiced line item amounts or amounts of line items needing a service ticket.
General features are available once a Job Card is selected. These represent features available for any selected job.
The status dropdown located right of the PO# field represents the job status of the selected job. This dropdown will change the status of a job if adjusted.
Share (Arrow Icon)
The share icon is located left of the edit button on the top right of the screen. Once selected you may select Files, PDfs, and Form submissions on this job with indicated job contacts, employees, or email addresses. Information for emails on contacts is located in Operations > Contacts > Select the Contact. Information on emails for employees is located in Admin > Employees > Select the Employee.
Edit (Jobs 2.0)
To edit a job select the Edit button on the top right of the screen once the job is selected. For details on editing and adding a job please review Add/Edit Job (Jobs 2.0).
The General tab is location in Operations > Approvals Queue (Beta) > Select a Job > General. This tab displays general information about a job. This information is edited by selecting the edit button on the top right of the screen.
Jobs details include particular information in order to gain full context for the given job. This information is commonly distinguished similar jobs from one another. This information is visible to both the client and employee to provide full context for everyone interested in the job.
This is the assigned point of contact for the job. The particular phone number and email of contacts are stored in the system in Operations > Contacts
This is the assigned location of the job.
- The Job Owner is indicated by the man icon. Typically the job owner is the job creator.
- The Region is indicated by a location icon.
- The In House Details are represented by a post-it notes icon.
- The Special Conditions are represented by a circled "i" icon.
Line Item Tab
Navigate to Operations > Approvals Queue (Beta) > Select a Job > Line Items. From this tab, you can create service tickets for assignments that need a service ticket, review finalized service tickets, approve line items for invoicing, and invoice line items.
Service tickets are typically filled out from the field on a mobile device. Occasionally a field user will not include a line item on a service ticket that must be built. Jobs will remain open on a field user's device until all line items are accounted for. From this tab, you may create a service ticket for these missed line items. To identify all jobs with missed service ticket line items utilize the top left the most filter on the screen and select Service Tickets. Additionally, you may create a line item if none such exists and needs to be applied to a service ticket.
- The main function of this tab is to check a line item. From here delete or create a service ticket for the missed service ticket line items. The following information goes into creating a service ticket.
- Optionally click add the assignment to include additional line items for a service ticket. These are line items that do not exist within the finalized service tickets but must be included on the job. Review Invoices if creating an invoice in order to skip creating the line item on the service ticket. A service ticket is not required to create an invoice.
- Add the quantity to be billed and assigned to the service ticket.
- The Comment Icon allows you to review additional comments provided by field users on this assignment. Additionally review the approval history, attached forms, and service ticket images uploaded from the field.
- Add Timer allows you to create a timer representing the time an employee worked on the assigned assignment. These may be displayed on the service ticket PDF if desired.
- Additional Information may be provided in order to add context to the service ticket.
- Upload File allows you to add documents to a service ticket. These commonly are physical pictures of receipts for parts or services provided.
- Print and Sign Name: Commonly a client will sign a service ticket. However, when creating a service ticket for missed line items an office employee may need to sign.
- Select Add line Item if a line item needs to be added to a service ticket as none such exists within the finalized tickets. The following details go into a line item when creating one. This step may be skipped if creating an invoice. Review Invoices for more information.
- Bill as Type: This is the assignment or service performed on the job. These must first be created for them to be available. Please review Field Services & Operations Administrative Setup for more information on setting up assignments.
- Date: This is the date the assignment was performed.
- Qty: This is the quantity of the assignment
- UoM: This is the Unit of measure of the quantity of the assignment.
- Column Options may be adjusted for easier reference on the displayed table. Select the settings cog just above the table on the right to adjust the order of the available columns. Be sure to save changes once the columns are adjusted.
Finalized tickets are stored tickets that have been submitted. Search and select the ticket # link to review details on a service ticket. Once a ticket is finalized each line item is populated on the Approvals tab to be approved or invoiced.
Navigate to Operations > Approvals Queue (Beta) > Select a Job > Line Items > Approvals. The approvals tab allows office employees to change the status of completed work assignments to indicate whether a line item is approved for invoicing or ready. This process is common within service companies that first audit assignments and services before sending out invoices. This may be skipped if desired by simply changing these line item statuses to invoiced. If a line item is not available for approval on a job it is important to review finalized tickets and needs ticket line items to determine if a line item was missed throughout the process. Each of these line items may be exported. Please review Export (Elipsis) for more information.
Filters are available once the approvals tab is selected. These filters include the search bar, state dropdown, and status dropdown.
- The State dropdown filters line items with three options. 1) Actionable line items which are line items that need to be approved or marked as ready. These are items that have been completed. They also may have a service ticket submitted to these line items. 2) Upcoming line items represent assignments scheduled to a job that has no service ticket submitted on them. 3) Non-Billable line items represent assignments that will not be billed to the client.
Add Line Item if one was missed or deleted during job creation. These line items first must be set up within the system before they are available. See Field Services & Operations Administrative Setup for full details. When adding a line item you may also edit the date, quantity (qty), and Unit of Measure (UoM).
Column Options are found within the setting cog on the top right of the table. Utilize these settings to adjust the order of columns displayed on the table.
File Selection Icon is found on the line item. Utilize this icon to quickly upload and view files attached to the assignment line item.
The Comments Icon facilitates communication with field users. Select it and post a comment and @user to directly send them a message. Additionally from this view, you can review the approval history which represents the rejection and approval of the line item for service ticket submissions. Review the attached Forms and Service Ticket images when approving line items as well.
Select the Checkbox(s) to update and adjust multiple line items. The following functions are available for multi-select updating and adjusting.
- Within the Actions dropdown, Add to Export Queue and Delete the line item. Once added to the export queue select the three vertical dot ellipsis next to the blue (+) button to export to a spreadsheet for selected line items.
- Within the Status dropdown, change the status of the selected line items to Unapproved, Approved, Ready, Invoiced, or Non-Billable. Marking items as invoiced will move the items into the invoices tab.
- Select Create Invoice to create a document to send to clients. There are many options available when configuring invoices. These include the following fields.
- Invoice Date: Click the calendar icon to adjust the date on the invoice.
- Email to: This email defaults from the client table. This must be in email format.
- Terms: Terms are hardcoded into the platform. Optionally apply them to the invoice for the clients' notice.
- Apply Discount: Discounts are available for both line items and on the entire invoice. Review Company Settings for more information on adding additional discount options.
- Notes on line items: Notes on line items are available for clients' review when they are sent to them.
- Tax: Tax may be applied to a single line item or throughout the whole document. Review Company Settings for information on adding additional tax options.
- Convenience Fee: Convenience fees may be applied to the entire invoice. Review Company Settings for information on adding additional convenience fee options.
- Terms and Conditions: Terms and conditions are input in the company settings. Review Company Settings for more information on Terms and Conditions.
- Memo: Adding a memo adds additional context to the invoice. This is visible to the client.
Once invoices are created you can find them within the invoice tab. Also, track their status. Main functions are utilized when selecting the checkbox. Change the status on the invoice in order to track the payment. Optionally you can change the status one by one on each line item under the line item column labeled status. Optionally mark it as Void. You may retroactively change an invoice permissions granting. Review Company Settings for more details.
Optionally attach a discount to an Invoice. Follow the following steps to do so. Review Field Services & Operations Administrative Setup for information on creating these discounts.
- Select a Job Card
- Click Approvals
- Check the line items to invoice
- Click Create Invoice
- Click Apply Discount (to total job or to line items)
- Select a discount and apply it to the job or line item(s)
Review and update purchase orders associated with the selected job. For full details on Purchase Orders (P.O.) please review Purchasing Management. From this tab, you can create new purchase orders and receive parts.
Add or View form submissions and their images on the selected job. For full details on form management please review Form Management.
The time tab includes all employee submitted time on a Job. These timers, permissions granted, may be edited. A new UI view is displayed when editing and adding new time from this table. This new view includes improvements to overnight entries. This feature allows accounting to track employee submitted time against billable time and in the future approve or reject timers. Please review Time Tracking Management to learn more about time tracking.
To learn more about inventory please review Inventory Management. Assigned parts to a job may be billable parts or tools required for the job. A picklist allows you to easily group parts or tools. At the point of checkout, users can refer to these groups for a much faster checkout experience. Users who build jobs also no longer need to create an assignment collection for each part but can mark a part as billable. This will create a part line item on the Job.
This Activity Queue allows you to view the historical context of the job selected. Dates, Times, and Users who make changes are recorded. Currently, the old activity queue is still available.